MERCEDES-BENZ 190 & 300SL
1954 to 1963
300SL ("Gullwing") 1954–1957
300SL (Roadster) 1957–1963
Mercedes-Benz SL came with 11" ID aluminum brake drums on both front and rear with a 4" wide cast iron liner. The Mercedes SL is a grand tourer since 1954 and the designation SL derives from the word Sport Lightweight. The 300 SL was applied to the 'Gullwing' named which meant that the upward-opening doors. The term SL-Class refers to the marketing variations of the vehicle, including the numerous engine configurations spanning six design generations. The 300SL roadster succeeded the Gullwing in 1957. The 4-cylinder 190SL was more widely produced with 25,881 units, starting in 1955. Cars of the open SL-Class were available as a coupe with a removable hardtop or as a roadster with convertible soft top or with both tops. Production for the 190SL and 300SL ended in 1963.
Next came the SL-Class 230SL, a new design with a 2.3L mechanically fuel injected six cylinder engine. It featured a low waistline and big curved greenhouse windows, and a Coupe Roadster with detachable hardtop, whose distinctive roofline earned the nickname "pagoda top." Then around 1967, the engine received a displacement increase and the model became known as the 250SL. Within a year the engine displacement was increased for the final time and the model designation became 280SL.